Tuesday 20 September 2016

Share Your Story: Sophie Lea

What course are you studying/have you studied?
BA Hons Primary Degree 5-11

What or who inspired you to train to become a teacher?
I have always wanted to work with people and feel that I am doing something worthwhile and positive.

What was the application process like?
When I trained, there were lots of applicants so I can remember that it was competitive. It was good to hear from current students/teachers during interview days. My interview involved a presentation and group discussion.

What was your course like?
Placements in school were by far the most valuable part of my training to prepare me for the job. There were lots of practical tasks in seminars, as if we were the children. Guest speakers were the most exciting part of lectures, I remember a lecture by a children’s author being really interesting.

Did you move away from home to study, or did you commute?
Moved away from home

What age group(s) and/or subject do you currently teach, and where?
I teach year 4 at Cam Hopton C of E Primary School and am the English subject leader.

In your opinion, what is the best thing about being a teacher? What is the worst?
Being in the classroom with the children is the best part of the job. Having feedback from the children, after a lesson they really enjoyed, feels great!

Marking and planning is the worst part of the job but just has to be done! You do get faster at it!

Do you have any regrets about your course/route choice? Did anything surprise you?
No I was pleased with my route choice, having completed a three year degree.

Is there anything you wish you’d known before you applied?
Teaching is most definitely a challenging career but a very rewarding and enjoyable one too.

If you could give one piece of advice to someone thinking about training to become a teacher, what would it be?
When you start placement/your career, you must prioritise. It’s very easy to get caught up doing unproductive tasks. Every night I ask myself ‘What do I need to do for tomorrow to run smoothly?’ I would also say it’s important to keep things in perspective. When you’re on placement some lessons go well and some don’t go so well. It’s the same when you have your own class too!

I love teaching because… the children I teach say they enjoy being in my class.
Having school holidays is also a massive bonus! If you have aspirations to travel you have lots of opportunities to do so, there aren’t many careers that have as much holiday.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬