Friday, 2 January 2015

15 January FAQs

As the 15 January application deadline approaches, here are some of the top questions we’re answering at the moment:

Q. Why can’t I log into my application?
A. If you can’t log into your application, first of all make sure you’re trying to log into Apply  and not Track by mistake. If you’ve forgotten your username or password, try our ‘Forgotten login?’ link to retrieve or reset your details. If you’re still having trouble then give us a call so one of our advisers can help.

Q. How do I add my qualifications?
A. Before you can add any qualifications you need to add the schools or colleges where you’ve taken them. This video explains everything you need to do.


Q. How should I write my personal statement? 
A. The personal statement may appear daunting at first but try not to panic, we’ve got lots of advice to help! Start by checking out the pointers on our website then take a few moments to watch our personal statement video.



Finally, read this blog post where university staff tell you what they’re looking for, which will give you a better idea on what you should include.

Q. How does the reference section work?
A. There are three ways to request a reference, and the one you’ll use will depend on how you’re applying. Watch our video for a step-by-step guide to what you’ve got to do.


Q. Why can’t I pay and send my application?
A. You can only pay for and send your application when every section of your application is marked with a red tick. If you’re applying through a school or college, they’ll be able to complete a reference and send us your application after you’ve paid for your application. If you’re applying independently then you can pay for and send us your application once your referee has finished your reference. Ross, one of our advisers explains all of this in this video.

Q. What time is the deadline on 15 January?
A. Applications for the majority of courses should arrive at UCAS by 18:00 UK time on 15 January (check your chosen course details in our search tool for the correct deadline). This is to ensure that it gets equal consideration by the unis and colleges you're applying to.

If you’ve got any other questions about your application check out our info on www.ucas.com or get in touch with our advisers on Facebook or Twitter.

Good luck with your application!

26 comments:

Petar Stoyanov said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Petar Stoyanov said...

Dear UCAS,
I have a question regarding references. Some of the universities that I'm applying to require two references. One of my referees provided their reference and I received a thick on my reference section. My question is: How can I add another reference to my application and is there a possibility this to happen?

UCAS said...

Hi Petar. Only one reference is required on your undergraduate application, if you wish to send an additional reference this will need to be sent directly to your university choices for consideration.

DhruvJain said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
basem elshafei said...

Dear ucas,
Can I have two applications running at the same time? I'm applying to a second course but same semester.
Thanks.

Van Anh Pham Nguyen said...

Dear UCAS,
I want to take an Integrated Foundation Year course. So, is it a must to write a personal statement?
Thank you!

UCAS said...

Hi basem elshafei. You can only submit one application per cycle with a maximum of 5 choices,if you are applying for different courses you need to use the same application. If you are unable to cover both subjects in one statement you need to send an additional statement directly to the university to support your application form.

UCAS said...

Hi Van Anh Pham Nguyen. A personal statement is required on all applications that are sent through Ucas, you may find some useful guidance on our Personal statement blog: http://ow.ly/dKeOC

Jane said...

Hi UCAS, can you tell me please what happens, if going through the school route, and they do not send the application in on time to UCAS?

UCAS said...

Hi Jane. The application can still be sent after the deadline until the end of June however it will be marked as late - it will be at the universities discretion if they will consider a late application for you.

Nuno Ramalho said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nuno Ramalho said...

Dear UCAS,
I have a question about my 'Education', specifically about my grades: my school isn't 'registered' so I wrote it independentely, and because I'm portuguese, I selected 'Diploma de Secundario - Portugal', but I haven't any 'pending' box or something, and I don't know how to inform my universities about my grades os this year (that I don't know, yet). My referee doesn't know as well. May you help me?
Thanks!

Kind Regards,
Nuno

Moritz Gill said...

Dear UCAS-Team,

I would be very happy and relieved if you could answer me some of my questions as I am not able to reach your hotline from my German mobile phone.

(1) I am currently doing my "Germany - Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife". As I will be finished in June should I leave the space for "grade" free?

(2) When giving grades for "Germany - Mittlerer Schulabschluss" should I write
a) very good (English translation of "sehr gut")
b) sehr gut (which is written on my certificate)
c) 1 (the number "sehr gut" corresponds to)
when having the grade 1 from 1-6 (one is best; 6 is worst)

(3)
a) How is a Honours Degree measured?
b) Is this only for British or also for international students?

Maddie Smyth said...

I have sent the email to my reference but they said they have not received it. I've tried two different emails and nothings working. How can i fix this?

UCAS said...

Hi Nuno. When you have added the qualification if you do not have a drop down box to select the option pending then you just need to leave the grade box blank and enter the date the result is due. When you then send your reference request your referee will be able to provide the predicted grades for you in the reference section.

UCAS said...

Hi Maddie. If you've successfully sent the reference request to the correct email address, it would suggest that our email has been blocked. I would recommend that you ask your referee to check their junk/spam mail folder first. If it's not there, you should ask them to add our email address into their address book. The email address is enquiries@ucas.ac.uk. Once this is done, you should then send a new reference request. This should be received without a problem.

UCAS said...

Hi Moritz. If your 'Germany - Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife' qualification is pending then you need to leave the grade box blank and enter the date your results are due, I would advise you enter information as it shows on your certificate for any grades achieved.
It is best to speak directly to the universities you are applying to, they can advise you further on how an honours degree course is measured.

Nuno Ramalho said...

Hi (again), answering your answer, I did exactly what you said, and left the box of my subjects with pending grades blank; with that, my referee has just one single box blank t insert something (without the subjects I didn't insert any grade), is it to say the average?

UCAS said...

Hi Nuno. They will need to enter the overall predicted average for this qualification. If they wish to enter the seperate subject predicted marks then they can enter this within the text of the reference.

Nuno Ramalho said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
YUU SALPICA said...

Please
the Reference box still in progress i have added the right email of my teacher two days ago, he hasnt received anything yet and tomorrow is the last day What can i do please?

Jim said...

Are International Applications due June 30?

UCAS said...

Hi Jim. The deadline for on time applications is the 15th January at 6pm, you can send a late application until the 30th June however it will be at the universities discretion if they will consider a late application for you.

UCAS said...

Hi Yuu. If you've successfully sent the reference request to the correct email address, it would suggest that our email has been blocked. I would recommend that you ask your referee to check their junk/spam mail folder first. If it's not there, you should ask them to add our email address into their address book. The email address is enquiries@ucas.ac.uk. Once this is done, you should then send a new reference request. This should be received without a problem.

YUU SALPICA said...

SORRY I SENT THE REFERENCE 3 DAYS AGO AND I CALLED UCAS THIS MORNING. AND TODAY UCAS HAS SENT THE EMAIL BUT ME TEACHER IS TEACHING UNTIL 6 SO UCAS SHOULD DO IT 3 DAYS AGO WHEN I SENT IT... NOW HE IS VERY BUSY WORKING...WHAT SHALL I DO?

UCAS said...

Hi Yuu. I would advise you contact your university choices directly and ask if they will either let you send the application without a reference (select no reference required)and send this directly to them as a hard copy reference, or if they will consider a late application sent after the deadline.