Thursday, 28 March 2013

Student Finance: your questions answered

Last week we asked you on Twitter and Facebook what questions you wanted us to put to Student Finance England. We've now picked a selection of your responses to try and represent as wide a range of your concerns and situations as possible and put them to Mark-Lee Kelly their Communications & Social Media Assistant.

“What does approved mean? Have you paid the uni or not?”
The approved application status means that your application has been processed and that payments are ready to be made.

You can check whether your university has been paid from your online account.  To do this you should log in to your online account then go to My Account > View Payments at www.gov.uk/studentfinance.
Student Finance England expert
Mark-Lee Kelly

“When is the deadline for 'evidence'?”
There’s no specific deadline date for evidence to be received, however we would advise you to send it in ASAP! The sooner you send the evidence that’s been requested, the sooner we’ll be able to get your application fully processed and let you know what you’ll be receiving.

When evidence is required this means that we cannot process your application until it has been received.

“Why can’t I register for a new account?”
A student finance account is linked to the account holder’s National Insurance Number.  This means that each person holds one account for the length of their study and their repayment period. 

You may be able to find out your login details to the account you hold by using our ‘forgotten your login details’ link on the login page at www.gov.uk/studentfinance. If this isn’t possible then one of our telephone advisers will be able confirm your Customer Reference Number over the phone on 0845 300 5090, and then they’ll email a new password and secret answer to you.

“Why has the finance application not taken into account that there is no NHS bursary for the first year for Social Work BA students?”
Social work students are able to apply for full support from SFE including tuition fee loan, maintenance loan and maintenance grant based on household income, regardless of which year of their course they are in. 

It sounds as though you might not have applied for a grant when you were completing your application.  On the ‘Your estimate’ page of the application there’s a link that says ‘continue based on household income’ which needs to have been clicked to make sure that household income is taken into account.

Don’t worry if you’ve forgotten to do this as you can still request for household income to be considered. 
To make the change you’ll need to complete and send us this form.

Your parents or partner can supply financial details to support your application by completing this form too (please note that we’ll need separate copies for each parent in your household!)

“Mum doesn't have the P60 that they ask for. What else can I do?”
There are a few alternatives that your mum may be able to send us if she doesn’t have her P60:

  • a copy of a Statement of Earnings for the relevant tax year that can be requested from HMRC
  • a copy of the month 12 payslip showing the full tax year’s earnings on it (this is the last payslip from the tax year, usually issued in March)
  • copies of the full tax year’s payslips from April to the following March

Why do they need to know my mum’s P60 from 2009? We were in Spain and don't know it!”
It sounds as though we need proof of your mum’s earning level for your grant application from the 2009 tax year. 
If your mum had an income from the UK in 2009 there are a few alternatives that she may be able to send us if she doesn’t have her P60:
  • a copy of a Statement of Earnings for the relevant tax year that can be requested from HMRC
  • a copy of the month 12 payslip showing the full tax year’s earnings on it (this is the last payslip from the tax year, usually issued in March)
  • copies of the full tax year’s payslips from April to the following March

If your mum had an income from Spain in 2009 she will need to provide the Spanish equivalent of a P60 to prove her income amount.

“Do I need to give bank details if I'm only applying for tuition fee loan?”
Tuition fee loan instalments are paid directly to your university so you don’t need to supply bank details if you are only receiving this type of finance.

“Does the passport you need for identification purposes need to be in date or can it have expired? With the sending of our birth certificate I presume they will send it back to us as you only want originals?”
Yes, passports need to be in date to be used as proof of identity. 

Birth certificates will be sent back to you once they have been processed.  It’s worth noting that if you are sending your birth certificate you will need to send a Birth Certificate Form along with it.

“When can we start applying? Can I apply before I'll accept an offer (still waiting for the last response)?”
Applications for full time student finance are now open. The deadline for new students is 31 May, so it’s a good idea to apply as soon as possible. 

You should include the details of the course you’re most likely to attend on your application. You can update this later if your course changes.

“Are there are any plans to introduce a fourth payment for health science students due to the fact we are in university/on placement for several more weeks than other courses and this prevents us from being able to find work when other students can during the summer holidays?”
The payment dates for each course are given to us by the university or college where the course is being studied.

Students whose academic year exceeds 30 weeks and 3 days in length receive an 'extra weeks' portion of Maintenance Loan.  To qualify for this your application must also be based on household income.  The amount that’s awarded for each extra week will depend on where you are studying, which year of study you are in and whether you live at home or away.

“In relation to the four year cap on support, why is it that even if I have funded one year myself, it still counts as one of those four years? (I took two part-time Cert HE courses, the first was funded by PTG1 and the second was funded by myself - but I’m now in a situation where I can't do a degree because only years 2 and 3 will be covered.”

There isn’t specifically a four-year cap on student finance as students are entitled to receive funding for the length of their course plus one extra year that can be used for a false start or resit year. 
We have to take any previous studying into account when calculating your entitlement for student finance.  This includes self-funded study and study at course providers outside the UK too.

“Why are full-time mature students assumed to have the same financial commitments as younger students. The current method of computer-generated payments by instalments does not meet the needs of mature students whose financial commitments are completely different. Mature students operate larger budgets often with dependent children and/or relatives. The appeal process is also humiliating.”

Regardless of whether a student is mature or not, if they have children or adult dependants they’re able to apply for extra non-repayable support to help with these additional costs.
Extra support includes:

  • Parent’s Learning Allowance,
  • Adult Dependent Grant;  and
  • Childcare Grant

There’s lots of information on eligibility, entitlement and how to apply for these types of funding here.

“I am a first-time applicant. I want to know the deadline for 2013/2014 applications. Someone told me that it’s 31st March 2013. Is this correct?”
The deadline for new students in the 13/14 academic year is 31 May 2013. The deadline is in place to encourage you to apply as soon as possible to help ensure that your funding is in place when you start university.

“Can EU students apply for student loans online, through the website or do they have to fill in the paper form and send it via post?”
EU students can apply online for student finance if they have been resident in the UK for 3 years or more prior to 1 September 2013.

EU students who don’t meet the above criteria need to apply using a paper application form that will be available to download from www.gov.uk/studentfinance soon.

“Why does Student Finance England not take into account how many dependants my parents have as this greatly decreases how much financial support they can give me at uni?”
Student Finance England does take dependants into account when calculating your parents’ household income.

On the parents’ part of the application they are asked to provide the details of any other dependants that they are financially responsible for.

“I've applied for student finance already but purposefully left my bank details out because I want to do some shopping about for the best deal (which at the minute I doubt is my current bank). When will I definitely have to finalise my bank details?”
You’ll need to update your online account with your bank details at least five working days before your first payment is due. 

“If I'm an English student applying for a nursing degree in Scotland, is it correct that I get tuition fees paid by NHS and a bursary from SAAS? And am I entitled to a maintenance loan from SFE on top of this?”
English students studying nursing in Scotland will be have their tuition fees paid by the NHS and a non-repayable bursary supplied by Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS) too.  Unfortunately they won’t receive any financial support from Student Finance England.

“If a British citizen living in an EU country, can we apply for maintenance grants as well as finance as a 'home' student would? I was told ‘yes’ as I have the right to roam around EU countries but have also heard conflicting information. Thanks.”
British students do have the ‘right to roam’ around the EU, meaning that as long as they’ve been resident within EU countries for 3 years prior to 1 September 2013 they can still apply for same student finance as home students.

The application is made in the same way online at www.gov.uk/studentfinance.

If you are a Scottish student with a place at an English uni, do we apply for our loan through SAAS or through the English system?”
If you’re a Scottish student who ordinarily lives in Scotland then you should apply for your student finance from the Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS).

80 comments:

SwearyKnitter said...

Why is it so difficult to get a response from SFE?

And when you do get a response, why is it never straight?

Why do SFE make things so difficult?

Why do SFE not learn from previous years and continue to make the same mistakes year after year?

Them's some GREAT questions I'm sure a LOT of people would like the answers to!

Tobias said...

Hi,
Is it possible for a EU student to apply for a tuition fee loan without (!) a National Insurance Number?

I've read it would last a couple of month after the application for a NIN. My course will start in September this year and actually I'm planning to send my forms in April without this number.

Thanks.

mimi simonet said...

hi I will be a mature student from an EU country living in Wales ,married to a British national for the past 19 years,have an adult British dependant ,but have lived in the UK for two years,because my spouse worked abroad and recently separated from my spouse and on a low income with a long term illness.How do i fit in the criteria for student finance ,i have difficulty getting in the right criteria.

Chloe Ringland said...

Hi,

My Stepfather, who lives with us, has two dependants not in further or higher education. He has a financial commitment to both of these children, but they do not live with us. Would they be classified as wholly or mainly dependant on my Stepfather or not?

Thanks,
Chloe

Moises Maionica said...

Thank you for solving the financial questions of all the students. I too was having different types of questions related to finance. Now all my finance related questions are solved.
--Moises Maionica

Jacob lWellfair lMusic said...

If i apply now, after the 31st May deadline for the first time, how likely is it that i'll receive the finance?

Jacob lWellfair lMusic said...

If i apply now, after the 31st May deadline for the first time, how likely is it that i'll receive the finance?

Jacob lWellfair lMusic said...

If i apply now, after the 31st May deadline for the first time, how likely is it that i'll receive the finance?

Jacob lWellfair lMusic said...

If i apply now, after the 31st May deadline for the first time, how likely is it that i'll receive the finance?

Marie Josèphe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
petersmith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
petersmith said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
steave adson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
steave adson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sonu kumar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sonu kumar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
david john said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Morphy Richard said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nathan leo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ban paul said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cambell Benson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Magdalena Bujak said...

Hi,
I'm a 18 year old applying for my first year SFE. I have been asked to prove that I have been living at this address for past 3years. However, since I'm a full time student I don't have any of the evidence that they are asking for. Can I send the evidence with my moms or dads name on them or does it have to be with my name.

johan morrison said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Manik Sharma said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sunny singh said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
rahul chopra said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
rohit malhotra said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
laura mcleary said...

I have applied for student finance and have been approved but i have changed my course and its still showing my old course how do i change this?? also i never recieved my dsa form how can i re apply for one please email me on mccll002@gmail.com

UCAS said...

Hi Laura Mcleary. You'd need to speak to Student Finance directly about it: http://ow.ly/vkjrU

sanam arzoo said...

I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.A fantastic presentation. Very open and informative.You have beautifully presented your thought in this blog post. Financial Course

acey66 said...

Hi im a little confused im applying for student finance and my dad has provided his financial information but my mum is a housewife. Does she need to provide financial information, because obviously she doesn't earn or is my dads one enough?

UCAS said...

Hi acey66

You'd need to contact Student Finance England for help with your finance application. Their contact details are here www.gov.uk/contact-student-finance-england. You can also ask them questions on Facebook and Twitter.

Good luck with your application :)

Anisha Patel said...

If I wanted to withdraw my UCAS application after results day, what would happen to my student finance application?

Would that also be cancelled?

UCAS said...

Hi Anisha


You'd need to contact Student Finance England for help with your finance application. Their contact details are here www.gov.uk/contact-student-finance-england. You can also ask them questions on Facebook and Twitter.

Hope that helps :)

Ridwan Caalin said...

I was hoping to print out a declaration letter from account Instead of waiting for the declaration letter from SFE that's on its way to my house So I could sign it and send it of to SFE but when I try to view the page it says Unable to show you the page you require can you please tell me what this means

UCAS said...


Hi Ridwan,

It's best for you to contact Student Finance England for help with this. You'll find their contact details here www.gov.uk/contact-student-finance-england. You can also ask them questions on Facebook and Twitter.

Best of luck :)

Jess said...

Hi

In my application I said that my parents will send their details online. Can i just post the forms instead or does i need to be done online?

I cant seem to make accounts for them both as I applied before and cant remember log in details.

Thanks in advance for your help!

UCAS said...

Hi Jess

It's best for you to contact Student Finance England for help with this. You'll find their contact details here www.gov.uk/contact-student-finance-england. You can also ask them questions on Facebook and Twitter.

We're holding a live webchat with Student Finance England next Thursday, 29 May at 16:00 (UK time). A student finance expert will be on hand to answer questions - you can sign up for an email reminder at www.ucas.com/web-chats.

Best of luck!

Amrit Kher said...

hi, my mum is supporting my application and at first she wanted to provide her financial details but now she has changed my mind. how do she go about changing her answer?

UCAS said...

Hi Amrit Kher. Was it information on the Student Finance form or the UCAS application?

lucy denny said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Donato Pizza said...

Hi,

I have to complete a UK Residency information form but i can't provide any of the evidence stated in my name. Can I send evidence with my parents name as I am living with them?

UCAS said...

Hi Donato Pizza, if you need help providing evidence for your finance application, you need to get in touch with student finance - all their contact details are here www.gov.uk/contact-student-finance-england.

Akash Panchu said...

Hi

I have applied for the second year of SFE, in the summary of my application says I don't have to do anything but states that they require the financial details of my parents. However, when logging into my parents accounts to support my application, it does not allow them to provide details for my second year sfe application. When searching for me they simply cannot find me due to already supporting my application in the first year. Although the financial details remain the same as the first year, will they still have to provide financial details? If so how?

Loren Clements said...

hello, i will be going into my second year at uni and i have applied for student finance again and everything has gone through, however i realised yesterday that i have no grant and then realised that i had to apply for it separately, when i apply for it, it says it will take 6 weeks to process, does this mean i will get the rest of my money late as well as my grant or do my other loans come through as normal as they have already been processed?

Loren Clements said...

hello, i will be going into my second year at uni and i have applied for student finance again and everything has gone through, however i realised yesterday that i have no grant and then realised that i had to apply for it separately, when i apply for it, it says it will take 6 weeks to process, does this mean i will get the rest of my money late as well as my grant or do my other loans come through as normal as they have already been processed?

UCAS said...

Hi Akash Panchu.

You'd need to approach SFE directly about this question, you can find their contact details here: http://ow.ly/ALwPT

UCAS said...

Hi Loren.

You'd need to approach SFE directly about this question, you can find their contact details here: http://ow.ly/ALwPT

MORGAN LEE said...

HELLO ARE YOU A STUDENT, WORKER,OR YOU OWN A COMPANY. AND YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A LOAN TO SPEED UP YOUR LIFE HERE IS THE RIGHT OPPORTUNITY FOR YOU TO MEET YOUR NEEDS.

APPLY FOR A LOAN TODAY WITH THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION BELLOW.

FULL NAME.
COUNTRY.
AGE.
MARITAL STATUS.
TELEPHONE NUMBER.
ABOVE ALL YOUR OCCUPATION.

EMAIL US TODAY AND LET GET YOUR TRANSACTION DONE.
microfinanceinvesmentservice@outlook.com

Jonathan said...

Hi,
I was just wondering why my student finance summary says that I will be paid £0.00 maintenance loan but the 'Your Payments' section says I will be paid it and the status says approved? It says that they have got my signed form back and they need nothing else, and on the form it says I will be applying for the maintenance loan. I'm assuming as they have my signed form and it says on the 'your payments' section (with the table of past and future payments)that I will be paid and that it is approved that the payment will happen? But the fact that it says £0.00 on the other bit has thrown me a little.
Cheers.

UCAS said...

Hi Jonathan. You'd need to speak to Student Finance about this directly as it's not something we deal with: http://ow.ly/BpX3I

Virginie lambertucci said...

How do i go about locate a UK residency form to prove that i am indeed a UK national ?

Can anyone please help xxx

UCAS said...

Hi Virginie lambertucci. This isn't something we assist with I'm afraid, who has requested this form from you?

soreal said...

London metropolitan university refuse to do a coc to SFE and have processed incorrect UCAS code too

Konrad Bobko said...

Is a PDF online bank statement ok as evidence of address for residency form that i got from student finance?

UCAS said...

Hi Konrad. It would be best to speak to Student Finance directly to clarify this: http://ow.ly/3W1TV

esha patel said...

Do I need to have my first choice university chosen? I am still waiting on offers.

sonmi42 said...

ok two questions:

1. Do I have to include a 'Term-time address' even though I haven't applied for accommodation at my chosen university yet?

2. Why can't I include my second university choice?

UCAS said...

Hi sonmi42. You wouldn't need to give a term time address at this stage but it's something you'll need to update when you know exactly where you'll living once accommodation has been secured.

You can only include one choice on the application but you'll be able to change this at a later date if you need to.

I hope this helps

Lauren Crane said...

I'm applying for a 2015 course and have sent my details on student finance on Friday 13th feb and printed and sent the declaration form on saturday 14th, my mum has had no email from student finance about supporting my application so she made an account but the system says I'm not recognised - I don't know what to do :(

fibi l said...

The student finance question
'will you be charged xamount for your tuition fees'

- I said no, and typed in the correct amount but it won't let me move to the next section because the amount is higher then the tuition fee they suggested!!

Rickma Araujo said...

Hi,

I applied for Student Finance and I forgot to add my middle name. Will it make a huge impact? What should I do now? Help please

Celia Birtwistle said...

Hi,
I'm a mature student, and looking at a full time course.
When I apply for finance, will they take my previous income into account, or just my husbands? I,ve been given conflicting answers. Also, does the fact that my daughter is a student also receiving finance make a difference to either of us?
Thanks

UCAS said...

Hi Celia Birtwistle. You will need to contact Student Finance England directly further assistance. Their contact details can be found here: www.gov.uk/contact-student-finance-england. You can also ask them questions on Facebook and Twitter.

Francesco Ocansey said...

Hello,
I have applied for student finance and I am a mature EU student. I did my application through the migrant worker team and they now asking of proof of been financially dependant on my mother since I have been living with her such as bank statements. But any time I need money from my mother, she gives it to me without putting it in my account or setting up a direct debt. I do not know what to do to proof it. Has anybody here found themselves in this kind of situation and how did you figured it out. Thanks

Douglas Rodgers said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Stettafire said...

I'm applying for a teaching training course which is being paid through a bursery. What finance code would I pick for my application?

Tara Ershadi said...

Hi
I've applied for pharmacy at manchester university and John Moorse in Liverpool this year.I've invited to the interview, If I get my placement, can I apply for Student Finance?
Considering, In September 2016 I have been living in the UK about 2 years and 6 months because I'm a refugee but was born in the UK and lived for 6 years from my birth.
My three years will be filled in March 2017.
I would appreciate that if you let me know, am I entitled to get the loan? I don't want to miss my placement. I'm so worry about it. Thanks a lot.

UCAS said...

Hi Tara Ershadi. It would be best to speak to Student Finance about this for further guidance: http://ow.ly/3W1TV

Marina muñoz said...

hey!
I still need to receive answers from four unis in scotland so I can't submit the saas aplication. I'm scared I'll have to wait to the last day to fill my application and it may too late as I'm spanish and the papers I need to send aren't the same. Thank you.

UCAS said...

Hi Marina Muñoz. It would be best to contact SAAS directly for further guidance on your finance application. Contact details can be found here: http://ow.ly/YY9o5

Amyleigh Fowles said...

Hi,

I changed my surname to my mum's maiden name along with changing the spelling of my middle name roughly five months ago. I am trying to send of my student finance application however my birth certificate is in a different name from what I applied in and I do not have a passport as that has ran out. should I attach a copy of my name change along with the birth certificate?

Thank you.

UCAS said...

Hi Amyleigh Fowles. It is best to contact student finance directly for further assistance, their contact details can be found here: http://ow.ly/4mOjtg

UCAS said...

Hi Sophie Wallace-Hanlon. UCAS does not require any financial information on your application, it is best to speak with Student finance directly for further clarification - contact details can be found here: http://ow.ly/4mOjtg

Olivia Cork said...

Hi, My mum has sent of financial information but my step-dad hasn't yet but is planning to. I have received conformation for the minimum amount of student loan, when my step-dad sends off his information will that alter my student loan or is it too late?

UCAS said...

Hi Olivia Cork. It would be best to contact student finance for further guidance on this - Contact details can be found here: http://ow.ly/TI4LK

UCAS said...

Hi Lewis Gwynn. It would be best to contact student finance for further guidance on this - Contact details can be found here: http://ow.ly/TI4LK

Zindagy said...

When will they send back my proofs just a passport biomatric because I have booked my holiday?

Molly Brown said...

Hi, I appealed for the amount of student finance I was receiving for the upcoming year, this was adjusted (though not due to my appeal.) I have therefore realised the year just finished I received the wrong amount of finance and was wondering is it possible to appeal for a year you have completed? As I am owed a large sum of money!

UCAS said...

Hi Molly Brown. You will need to contact Student Finance England directly for further assistance. Their contact details can be found here: www.gov.uk/contact-student-finance-england. You can also ask them questions on Facebook and Twitter.